Monday, October 24

how do you explain grumpy?

Today my Reading I kiddos, my kids who have immigrated in the past 2 years instead of when they were 8, were being 9th graders. They come bouncing in saying my room is hot. :) now it is currently 51 degrees outside and I would say that is on par with what it was at 8:30 this morning (love the new school start times!) So I smile and tell them that I *hate* cold weather and that it makes me grumpy. "what's that, ms?"....Hmm. How do you explain grumpy. It completely stumped me. I pulled out the spanish/english dictionary and *it wasn't in there!* So i pulled out a language learner's dictionary and read the definition. But it isn't unhappy, or sad or really even moody. I just said that cold weather puts me in a bad mood. But I really wanted to say, "No, it just makes me a little grumpy." :) Oh, well.

On a side note, my kitty hasn't left my lap all evening. We are curently waiting for my hubby to get home. yes, he isn't home at 10, the new baseballwarehouse website launches the first week of november (we hope).

also, practicing my spanish today. I learned that you have to be careful when saying J in espanol because it can come out like you are saying "gay." All this was triple checked from 3 different sources (2 kids, one teacher) just to make sure that I wasn't having the wool pulled over my eyes. Still can't believe that I have taken French, Greek, German, Chinese and learned some Russian in country and *still* don't know a lick of Spanish. Seriously, that is a little ridiculous right? I'm getting better though. I can at least guess what they are saying to me about 1/2 the time now. :)

No comments: