Friday, April 29

Ok, after this I promise. . .

. . . I harp on things. If you know me very well, this will be obvious to you. But currently I am harping on my own wrestling with an inservice I'm in for the weekend. It is the first one I've been to since I became a teacher that I didn't agree with everything or almost everything the presenter said. He prefaced the talk by saying that we needed to be open-minded, etc. so I am trying *really* hard to do that. It is hard with me cause I think I have some ideological problems with the basic premise. . . . one more day.

But on to my harping. Does anyone know where the "teach a man to fish" saying really came from? In the workshop it has been attributed to the Bible, which is not anything I remember or can verify. I can deal with people being culturally naive, but lets not go throw things around like "That came from the bible" when really you have no proof. I found this site that references phrases that *did* come from the bible. But it is by no means comprehensive. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bartleby.com says it's a traditional Chinese proverb, referencing The International Thesaurus of Quotations. I'm inclined to believe them, as I don't recall anything like "teach a man to fish..." in the Bible.

~lynnie said...

great resource. i had no idea where to find something like that out.