Sunday, May 1

fun things i plan on doing

Ok, I am not further ahead on my lesson plans than i have been the entirety of this year. I have all planned out the cool things I am going to do to get the students to focus. . . let's just see if they buy in. :)

First, If you haven't read Isabel Allende, she is a really good writer. Perhaps airing a little to the romance genre, but very good nonetheless. She just wrote a new book based on Zorro. . . usually she is dealing with material based in the background of the political situation in Chile (where she is from). We are reading a short story by her, "And of Clay Are We Created," set around a volcano in Columbia in 1985 that caused a mudslide and obliterated a town. No background on the destruction, just the story of one girl and a reporter. Really great story. I am hoping the kids are liking it.

Then we read a non-fiction piece about a plane crash (the one in D.C. over the Potomoc) and look a picture. The triplet.

Then we are going to do a powerpoint. they should enjoy this. it will be a lot of fun. Since we are doing these heroic events it is going to be based on a heroic event of their own or someone they know that is a hero. Downside is that I'm requiring a picture so I may spend 3 days helping them get the pictures scanned in while we work on them. We'll see.

Ok, so that is the fun that is my life. I think we are down to 20 instructional days left. I only have 16 cause I have 3 more inservice days and my sis graduates from Southwestern with her masters this friday. My brother graduates from Mississippi State on Saturday...busy weekend.

2 comments:

Sher said...

I'm graduating! I'm graduating! I'm graduating! I'm graduating! YEAH!!!! I need a job and can't sleep. Ohhh....

Anonymous said...

Can't believe I am actually commenting on a blog(had no idea they existed or quite what they are). Thought you'd be surprised to hear that I've actually read a book by Isabelle Allende. Prof in law school recommended. Interesting.

SRJ