Tuesday, December 27

Making Chicken and dumplings

I whipped up a batch of chicken and dumplings for our hall potluck at school last week. Since I was under the weather nothing tasted good and Dan wasn't feeling well so he wouldn't taste them for me, so I showed up to school with dumplings; the first batch I've ever made by myself, and not entirely sure how they tasted.

Since I had a half-dozen boys hanging out in my room I decided to con one of them into tasting it for me.

So I called over Andres and asked him if he would taste my food.

"What is it?"
"Chicken and dumplings."
"What's that?"

Well this presented an interesting problem. How do you explain dumplings and have it sound like something someone would want to eat?

"Well it is chicken, in like a thick broth...Then there is a bread thing inside, dumplings. They are like biscuits that are cooked in. They should be soft but taste cooked, not doughy. Can you just taste them and let me know if it tastes cooked?"
"Sure."

I mean really, he is a 15 year old boy. Is he honestly going to turn down food?

So I give him a scoop full and he tastes it and tells me it is ok. Then they all walk around the room whispering about my food. A couple of boys made faces, to which I replied that I don't make fun of *their* food (specifically mentioned menudo). And this is what we eat at my home. They laughed and no one else said anything else about it. Most of them said it smelt good but weren't entirely sure about tasting it.

No comments: