Sunday, November 6

computer time OR Can you Cumbia, Ms?

I have this set of laptop computers that live in my room right now. The school bought two carts of 16 computers each and I volunteered to learn how to use one. :) I let my students use them for class projects but they can't surf or look up other stuff during class. Two of my students came and asked to use them after school so I told them they could. That was Wednesday 5th period. By 4:00 (school lets out at 3:35) I had a dozen boys (nope no girls) in my room all on computers varying from "Latin Chat" to Cruz Azul merchandise (Mexico City's soccer team) to streaming cumbia. My thought on it is that most of my kids *don't* have computers and can't just play around on computers, get comfortable with them, etc. I was a little worried about Latin Chat, but by the next day the filter had caught it and blocked it also. :) yes, about 6 of them came back Thursday. Both days they stayed till about 5, then walked home. Friday a bunch showed up but I told them it was Friday and they should go home. (The internet was down anyway.)

So my new goals:
1) Finally learn a little Spanish. This is ridiculous. I seriously need to know some.
2) Learn how to cumbia...or at least be able to tell that it is cumbia music by listening to it. It has a different beat to it. When I get a good artist/group, I'll let you know.
3) Come up with some official plan to let students use the computers.

No comments: