Saturday, November 19

puedo hablar...

Ok, more on the calling of my student's momma, since I realized that it sounded a little odd. I tease my kids, especially those who are more ADD, that I am going to call their mommas. Well, I have this one kid whose mom and two sisters live in Mexico City, he doesn't talk to her a lot, lives with his dad and older brother. As much as I can tell he was there this summer and hasn't talked to her since. Well, he started saying that I should go ahead and call his mom..."What do you want me to say?" "Tell her I'm ok."

We went through that banter for a few days, then Friday he brings me his mom's phone number in Mexico City, writes down her name and tells me to call after 8. I asked did his mom speak English and he said to ask for his sister Georgina cause she speaks "a little." (this last bit was with a grin and a giggle, so I'm not real sure how much 'a little' is.) So I really think he does want me to call. Not sure what to say, he is a good student, very bouncy, the boy who taught me what "tuba" means in spanish, but a sweet kid. He apparently misses his momma and wants her to know he is doing ok.

So, does anyone know how to call Mexico City?

2 comments:

Sher said...

Don't know how to do it, but I bet Dan can figure it out. You should call his mom! Wouldn't you want someone to call your mom? That would be very nice, and I bet the mom will really appreciate it!

~lynnie said...

I found someone who can translate for me, so I'm going to go over to their house next Monday night and call. if I get into trouble, she can step in. I am afraid that I call and all they understand is "i'm Hernan's teacher from FW" and they panic. :)