Monday, November 14

my day in the library

ok, well to start off with, myself and the other language center reading teacher are bribing our kids to read long books. if they read 160 pages by the middle of december, they will get to go on a field trip downtown. tool around awhile, tour the library and go out to eat for free. i have conned most of them into trying.

then i spent the rest of the day alternately admonishing and praising my students for behavior when the sub was here. it culminated with yelling at them about posting a note to the pointy part of the flag and leaving it for my 9th graders to find this morning. my 9th graders translated it for me. my list of spanish curse words gets longer by the day. the first girl was so embarrassed she almost wouldn't tell me. i did get out of two girls in 7th who posted it. he wasn't there today so i'll get him tomorrow. :)

so today i give 7th their rant about behavior and how lots of them are seniors and 6-7 months from now they will be done with high school and i shouldn't have to be telling them how to act. basically a 'grow-up' speech. :) then i had to take them to the library because i had to wait a week to get in. i'm helping these groups of boys find books (16:9 boy-girl ratio remember) and get so frustrated that i take off my jacket while i'm talking to them. apparently this surprised them cause they all go "whoa! what are you doing?" "Taking off my jacket. I'm hot." "Right, Ms. You're hot!" what do i do? blush.

This is not what i needed today. especially from the class i'm supposed to be mad at. though i never stay mad at 7th period very long cause they are good kids and generally i like them. there are quite a few kids in there that shoot off a smile like "you can't be mad at me." and there i go and don't hold them to it. I should be a better disciplinarian.

2 comments:

Sher said...

Jana thought this post was funny. Especially the hot part!

If you ever need a sub, I have an ex-TCU student who is a sub in FWISD while waiting to get his certification. He has a degree in Geography. He's young, but he would probably do a good job. Plus, he needs the money! Let me know if you need a sub, and I'll pass along his info.

Sher said...

While discussing the upcoming gay cowboy movie (Brokeback Mountain) my friend Amy made this comment..."That movie really makes me HOT!" I immediatly started DYING out laughing, especially since I read this blog only a few days earlier. Ha! I am still laughing! I emailed her and told her what "hot" means in the hispanic culture and she was so embarrased! Ha! The she proceeded to say that "hot" in her family means "mad."

It is funny how words can mean different things to different cultures!