Thursday, January 12

First week back

Well, it is the first week back to school and I have to say that I am really enjoying it thus far. My computer project went off without any hitches. Only a few complaints of "please mrs. let me use the computer today." All in all a very successful project. Tomorrow I go over the benchmark scores and tuesday we start our novel, Night. I hadn't read it until after I started teaching, even though I remember my sister reading it in high school. It is a pretty good book and I hope the students like it.

I had to write up one of my kids that hangs out in my room after school. Unfortunately he can't say an entire sentence without cursing in either English or Spanish. Since they have taught me a variety of Spanish curse words (I can cuss like a sailor now -- a phrase I have to say is beyond the understanding of my students so I gave up, the etomology is far too complicated to explain), I can't ignore their spanish curses. The student didnt' really think I would write him up. If my friend hadn't been there I might have backed down. I couldn't give him detention because he and his friends spend all their free time in my room anyway. That isn't really punishment. My friend is on her administrative internship so she can assign punishments. We gave him In-house for an entire day. He won't know anyone so he can't talk and will probably be by himself since the tardy calculator hasn't been running that long. We are hoping that this is discouragement enough.

No comments: