Saturday, February 18

Hot Cheetos and Snickers

Just so you know the preferences of high school students...they like Hot Cheetos and Snickers. Another teacher mentioned today that they probably don't know that any other Cheetos exist. I've never seen any of them carry them around.

Why do I care you might say? TAKS

Last year the 11th grade English teacher made up goodie bags for each of her students to give them motivation and confidence the day of the test. She got them to tell her their favorite chips and candy bar and filled up the bags with random treats. I thought it was a great idea and decided to do it myself. I have been slammed with Writing Camps till yesterday so I am a bit behind. I have 120~ students plus the 10th grade Language Center kiddos that I don't actually teach but know pretty well so that adds up to 148 goodie bags.

So yesterday I put 15 extra credit points on the quiz (they needed it anyway) and asked them some fake off questions so nobody realized I really just wanted to know their favorite candy and chips. 48 kids wanted Hot Cheetos (have you ever had them? they are really not my thing. I don't like cheetos and don't like spicy chips so i sure hope I don't have any leftovers.) 31 wanted Doritos. 39 kids wanted Snickers and a bunch wanted random things like Carlos V (a Mexican candy bar). Dan and I headed off to Sam's and a basket full of junk food and $112 later I have enough to fill up 148 bags for the kids. I'll make address labels that say "Good Luck on TAKS" and then pray that they do their best.

*************************

Learned a number of words in Spanish for someone who talks too much yesterday. 7th I had a girl who I had to ask to be quiet about 3 times. So I put another extra 3 points on the quiz for whoever could tell me what the word would be.

Here is what I got (all in feminine form since my offender was a girl):
chismosa - not really what i meant, more someone who tells secrets, a gossip
habladora - literally a person who talks a lot
perico - a parrot :) metaphor, they get extra points for that
parlanchina - a chatterbox - the best choice for my use, but a little hard for me to say cause the combo rolled r & l isn't easy for me to do...i can repeat it if someone says it but I can't say it from memory with the r done right.

1 comment:

Sher said...

Good luck with TAKS week! I know it will be a tough one for all you techers out there. So, try and get some rest! Laters