Wednesday, April 26

I have icing in my nose...

Today was the day of my postponed birthday party. We had about 60 kids who said they were coming...this concerned me, but when it was all said and done only about 25-30 showed up. Some didn't stay the whole time, others left early. The teacher across the hall made cupcakes (with the colors of the mexican flag as sprinkles - not a choice I would have made, but he was trying), my friend brought me a birthday cake and ordered pizza, kids brought chips. All in all it was a success.


We invited the soccer team because we owed them pizza for winning against their rival team back during the season...One of them brought a ball. They took the opportunity of having all the desks pushed back to bounce the ball around. It still amazes me how good *the kids who don't officially play soccer* are at bouncing the ball around.

They attempted to get me to dance, but there is no way I am dancing in front of kids with everyone staring at me. My rhythm isn't that good. Plus I tell them that I didn't learn any school appropriate dancing in high school. A couple of girls were brave enough to dance with the same boy over and over again, but that was really short-lived.

Perhaps the most exciting thing was when they decided I should take a bite of the cake....I should known, and had an inkling that there was something up with that. Finally I agreed to take a bite of a small piece of cake (really glad my friend suggested this). Well, when I agreed EVERY KID IN THE ROOM rushes over to see me take a bite of the cake. Four boys hands were on the plate and I was holding it back. Needless to say when I did go to take a bite very little of it went in my mouth. Most went in my nose, on my nose, in my eybrows, eyelashes, hair, etc. I was laughing so hard I almost couldn't breathe. There is a picture..I don't have it (still in my friends camera) and it won't be posted here I'm sure.

And I learned how to say "I am going to vacuum" - "Yo voy aspire." There is currently cake ground into the floor of my room...The room that I am not going to be in next year, apparently I am moving down the hall- 3 years teaching, 3 different rooms. I'll have to bring carpet cleaner on Friday to clean it up.

Tomorrow night they are having another party at the restaurant of the father of two of my students. We have been invited. Perhaps mainly because the restaurant is within 1 mile of my house and I have never been inside. I didn't actually know it was their dad's restaurant until today. I knew one of the brothers worked there, but that was it.

No comments: