Sunday, April 9

Satire books

Wow, I wish I could invite everyone over for a read-aloud to hear these books the kids did. They are *incredibly* good. I am very pleased because as a general rule I don't get real high quality work on stuff like this. I get average work, just enough to get by. I think it is an outpouring of the fact that I don't grade hard enough.

But this time they were excellent and really funny satire too. I think that is the best part, that I taught these kids satire some of whom have already done satire in English IV last fall and didn't get it.

We are reading A Modest Proposal now, by Jonathan Swift. I don't think I read this in high school, but we did it while I was student teaching. It is incredibly funny if you get past the initial shock of it. If you have never read it, go take a gander. The kids I have who did it in English IV DIDN'T REALIZE IT WAS A JOKE. And that would seriously put a damper on the humor.

My kids favorite parts so far:
*One male per every female for breeding
*Children cannot hold jobs...they can't even be a good pickpocket till they are at least 6
*Teenagers can replace the dwindling deer population.

I'm just sorta proud that they are reading something that was written in 1729 and they aren't complaining the entire time about how boring it is. :)

No comments: