Tuesday, April 4

ratted out

So my teacher friend down the hall TOLD the kids that I said 'juego' in class instead of 'jugo.' They thought it was incredibly funny. I blushed.

Tomorrow the kids are presenting their satire children's books. The stories are incredibly funny. We have the Three Bears with SpongeBob, Patrick and R-Kelly, the three pigs with varying hair colors of Kelly Clarkson (that student actually told me today that he didn't realize that the book had to have the story written in it...he just has a book full of hot girls), red riding hood as a pot smoker in Mexico City (we did actually have to clean that one up so that there were no illegal drugs involved, but it was incredibly funny) and many many more. I'll have to share more of the best ones after I read them all.

This lesson has amazingly been very sucessful. One student even came back over the weekend and said this:

"Hey Ms, we saw Ice Age 2 this weekend. You should show it to your classes next year because it is all satire."

Wow, to see it out of context like that and still get it!!! Super proud of that.

Also I taught my 9th graders stream of consciousness. I love that I taught them stream of consciousness and that they have nearly got it. It is really hard for my kids to look past the content and look at the style of the writing. It comes from not having read enough to see that writers have different ways of saying the same thing. Also, they have not written enough to play with different methods of writing. Most are still too hung up on writing in English to worry about anything else.

No comments: